A third of Pakistan is under water.

The catastrophic flooding in Pakistan has caused a crisis, not just in people losing their homes, but food shortages and lack of safe drinking water. More than 9 million people have been displaced, with many living by the roadside in tents while they wait for the waters to recede.

The Australian Government has sent AUD$5 million in foreign aid to the Pakistani Government, but has not announced a specific visa process to rescue people in Pakistan that are affected by the floods.

How can people in Pakistan come to Australia?

Even though the floods in Pakistan have caused a massive humanitarian catastrophe, people affected cannot be considered under humanitarian or refugee visas. Most humanitarian visas require that people are outside their country of origin AND have fled because of persecution of some sort. At this stage, environmental refugees are not recognised as refugees.

Tourist visas would probably be refused because the Department of Home Affairs would probably not believe that a person from Pakistan would want to return to their country after their stay in Australia.

Even student visas would be looked at very closely by the Department of Home Affairs. Student visas would be refused if the Department of Home Affairs suspected that the applicant would not return to Pakistan when their study was finished.

So what are the options?

If you are a permanent resident or citizen of Australia and your family is affected by the floods, you may be able to sponsor them to come to Australia. There are a few visa types that may be used, like partner visas, child visas or orphan relative visas.

If you are in Pakistan (or in Australia on a temporary visa) and have a skill or profession that is recognised and needed in Australia, you may be able to apply for a skilled visa.

Contact us now on +61 3 9416 7767 or by email [email protected] for a free consultation to see if you or your family are eligible for one of these visas.