To help someone in Afghanistan, you can volunteer to be a ‘proposer’.

The reason we are asking you to help in this way is because of a cruel set of laws in the Australian Migration Act that stop people who fled their country (in this case Afghanistan) because of legitimate fear and arrived in Australia by boat from sponsoring or proposing their family members left in danger.

These Australian residents who arrived by boat were recognised, by our immigration system, as being in genuine danger of persecution if they were to return to Afghanistan, but were only granted temporary protection visas, called TPVs or SHEVs (Safe Haven Enterprise Visa), which are arguably unlawful under international law (see Our laws say that people on these type of visas cannot sponsor or propose their loved ones.

But you can.

A proposer must be over 18 and can be an individual person or an organisation.

If the proposer is an individual, they have to be an Australian permanent resident, Australian citizen or eligible New Zealand citizen (that is, a New Zealand citizen that arrived in Australia before 27 February 2001). They will need to provide evidence of this (for example, certified copy of passport or citizenship certificate).

There are different levels in being a proposer, but in this situation, the person whose family you are proposing will take responsibility for all costs associated with the proposal. We will organise a contract for them to sign to reassure you that there will be no costs involved for you.

Proposer responsibilities

The proposer must complete a form 681. We can send this to you if you agree to be a proposer.

Usually, the proposer provides assistance and support for the person in Afghanistan who is applying for a humanitarian visa, but in this case, the temporary protection visa holder family member here in Australia will sign a contract promising to assist their family members in all ways.

Please contact us by email on [email protected] or by calling 0456 004 810 if you are interested in becoming a proposer for a family from Afghanistan. We will then link you with a person on a temporary protection visa whose family are in danger in Afghanistan. We will do the application pro bono – for free.